I was just listening to the radio, and the news indicated that there were new Canadian Car seat standards coming the start of 2012! Its great to release something like that a two days before – what is this all about???
Not much is on the web, but from what I’ve seen; the major changes are:
- Changing the definition of an infant: From 9 kg to 10 kg
- Increase of maximum weigh limit for child seats from 22 kg to 30 kg
- There will also be a new testing requirement where 3-point seat belts are used to secure the seats in cars.
- For booster seats, to keep Canada aligned with standards used in the United States, dynamic testing will become the standard.
- Allowing harnesses to be certified for use on school buses carrying special needs children.
The good thing is that infant and child seats that we have bought before January 2012 do not need to replaced at this time. Could you imagine the uproar if this was the case???
What does this mean for me for January 1, 2012? Not much. My 8 week old will remain in her infant seat; and my 30 month old will remain in his toddler seat. No CHANGE – business as usual.
See this link for Transport Canada’s “KEEPING KIDS SAFE”